| || |
About the Historical Society
The Twin Lights Historical Society was formed in 1956 by a group of citizens concerned by the decaying condition of the once famous Navesink Lightstation. The Society adopted as its purpose the preservation and restoration of the Twin Lights of Navesink. After the New Jersey Division of Parks and Forestry took over the lighthouse as a State Historic Site in 1962, the Society continued to assist with the preservation and restoration of the buildings.
A maritime museum was established at the lighthouse in the North gallery. Today one of the Society's major responsibilities is the collecting and maintaining of historic objects displayed in the museum.
Such past Society projects have included bringing the South Tower Fresnel Lens from the Boston Museum of Science back to Twin Lights; renovations of the museum exhibits and Electric Generator Building; and producing educational programs for visiting schools.
The Society is supported by Membership Dues and also maintains a gift shop in the lighthouse. There is a large selection of lighthouse books as well as maritime souvenirs. All proceeds benefit Twin Lights Historic Site.
The annual Membership Meeting is held in the Spring to discuss projects and also hear members ideas of how to improve Twin Lights.
"The Lighthouse Log," newsletter of the Society, is published a few times a year to keep members informed of activities at the lighthouse.
The Society has established a volunteer corps to help the staff operate the gift shop and assist with tours.